I even got some really nice quality just-barely-off-white broadcloth from my mom's supply. This stuff is such nice quality, totally straight on the grain and bolt. So tightly woven, you have to use a really sharp needle on the machine to make it go through--and pinning two layers of it together is pretty much out of the question. But it's nice, and thick, and doesn't get soft and pilly like quilter's cotton.
Anyway, as I was flipping through my pattern box to find the most similar bodice pattern I have to the Anthro dress, I happened on Simplicity 2497...
...which I've used several times before, and which reminded me of these Anthro dresses:
I figured it would work, too! So instead of the first Anthro-ey bodice as I was imagining, I made the scoop-neck, unlined bodice, which, of course took practically no time at all. I don't know exactly how long it took, but I was watching old Gilmore Girls episodes in the background, and I'm pretty sure I only went through one during the project--that's 43 minutes. Ish.
I wanted to do something interesting on the scoop neck, not necessarily the ruffle from the pattern, and I realized I don't have anything with a pleated ruffle collar. It was super easy to make--I tore a 4-5" long piece of the width of the fabric, folded it in half and pressed it well, and didn't even need to pin it all. I basted the row of pleats before I attached it to the bodice, and just pleated as I sewed, tucking the fabric under the presser foot as I went! Easy and actually kind of fun. Then I pressed it really well before sewing it on the neckline, and finishing with self-fabric bias. Ta-da!
I'm planning on wearing it to the post-wedding brunch on Sunday on my trip to Orlando!