It's been a while, but I used to do these all the time. Inspired by J.Crew and Anthro, you can make all kinds of cute embellished tees with self-fabric ruffles and strips.
This time, I used a tee I got for $2 or so on clearance at Old Navy:
tutorials on how to cut off the sleeves and turn them into strips to use and embellish with!
Here's the tutorial:
- Place your strips on the tee and see how you like them. I was thinking several stripes, alternating.
- Now, keeping track of which strip goes where, gather each one using a large stitch and a tight tension:
- Now, get ready to place the strips on the tee. Find the center of the tee, by folding it in half. Mark with a pin or fabric marker.
- To make stripes of gathered strips, use a ruler to make parallel lines however far apart you want your strips. Mine were 3/4" apart.
- Mark off the bottom of your stripes so they all end at the same place!
- Begin to pin on the ruffles. Make sure they don't twist, and that they're right side up.
- Go to your machine and sew the strips on.
- That's it!
Super easy and a fun change to the basic long-sleeved tee!