More wedding dress progress! I've got an update for you (for those of you who aren't opposed to seeing all the steps along the way)--if you want to be surprised in August when I get married, look away from this post!! ;)
Just a refresher, here's where we left off on wedding dress construction. Next step was to put together the tulle overskirt and put it on to the under layer. The tulle was also cut gored.
Easier said than done. I have four layers of tulle--light grey, light pink, shimmery light peach, and ivory. I cut four panels of each, 34" long I think, and sewed the long seams together. Then I had four veeeeery big tubes of tulle, to gather as one. The problem was, the shimmery peach was a few inches narrower than the others, so one layer of tulle was smaller than the rest! It looks fine finished, but means I can't assemble all the layers together flat. So I fought with it...
Next I sewed the gathered overskirt to a piece of twill tape to keep it together until I assemble the whole thing (not till right before the wedding, so I can perfect the fit as needed). Then I pinned it on the mannequin to see what it will look like!