I loved these when I saw them on a wedding blog, and was so excited when they showed up in the Adventures in Dressmaking DIY Weddings Flickr group--one of you talented readers made them!
They gave me the idea of making something out of the fabrics I've been using for all the other DIY accessories. My mom assumed the boutonnieres should be real flowers, but I somehow feel better about doing fabric ones. Sounds a little easier on the day of, care etc, easier for me to make ahead of time, and goes with the DIY/homespun vibe of the wedding.
So I threw these together with some fabric scraps and a glue gun, and some sturdy cardboard for backing. I made them up as I went along. But I figured out a new way to make flower buds in the process, which was nice.
I had a few extra dupioni silk flower buds and put them on a slightly smaller boutonniere for our little ring bearer.
Slightly different from the other three, but all with the seersucker (with pinked edges) and ricrac-wrapped stem, purple silk, and yellow polished cotton.
The colors are so bright and saturated, at least on the white table there. They should look a little less gaudy on the grey suits and in the natural sunlight. But hey, they do go with the purple/yellow/grey color scheme! The bouquets will be in similar colors but of fresh flowers, too, so hopefully they'll all go together.
And they cost me exactly $0 to make (had all the stuff already and the pin backs were like $1 for a pack of 25 or something, years ago), so I'm not too invested in them.
(If you did any DIYs for your wedding or the wedding of a friend or loved one, I'd love for you to share them in the Adventures in Dressmaking DIY Weddings Flickr group!!)