Yes, it's a little teeny bit big, but not much--you see the shoulder seams fit me pretty well, but the body is so baggy. If this were several sizes too big as well as too sloppy, I'd have had to manipulate it even more.
Here's what I did do this top to make it wearable and fun for 2011. You'll notice it's very saggy and baggy under the arms--to be cute, even a slouchy top shouldn't fold like that. Here's the fix:
- Turn the top inside out and look at the side seams.
- Now you'll cut off the seam allowance under the arm to separate your sleeve and body. Trim thin wedges out off the seam allowance, through the serging and seam.
- Now, to drop the armhole, cut out a wedge from the side seam up--now your armhole starts lower on the shirt. Don't make this too big or the sleeve will be too small to fit inside.
- Sew the sleeve back in! With a regular seam allowance, 1/2" or so.
- This top was droopy and long, so I took a big hem.
Simple, but look how much better the whole thing fits! I didn't take in the side seams at all.
Thanks for your tips yesterday! I'm still working on the loose top concept--I worry about looking sloppy rather than chic. Still learning!